Category Archives for "Articles"

More than three hundred thousand dollars lost per school

The cost of failure of Measure V There is a high cost of failure for Measure V. Between $300,000 to $350,000 per school ($7 million per year). Funds our schools have depended on until Measure Y failed in 2017. The damage will be real. Our schools in California are already underfunded. In San Mateo and […]

Continue reading

19 days until the election

Measure V will provide $10 million per year for the operation of the San Mateo Foster City School District if it passes in November.What seems to be missing in the discussion is the real implication of Measure V failing.Our schools will be losing $7 million per year in funding. This will mean a loss of […]

Continue reading

School Funding Basics – The mess we are in

There are a lot of questions about how school funding works in California and why our schools are constantly asking for money. 1. Our school districts and local governments are separate. They compete. Schools have 3 funding sources: The state – which treats San Mateo/ Foster City terribly. Funding has just this year returned to […]

Continue reading

Prisons versus Education – Your Choice

.A year in prison costs California taxpayers $71,000 No one blinks. The cost has risen by $22,000 since 2011 – 30  percent. No one blinks. A parcel tax to raise funding for our local schools by 3 percent in the same eight year period. The screaming begins: Fraud. Crooks. Economize. Scam. I’M NOT SPENDING A […]

Continue reading

A Longstanding Discussion of Equity

On September 13, 2018, the San Mateo-Foster City School Board began discussing an Equity Resolution – 6_1_Resolution091819Equity_0 – to address issues in the District.  The Draft Resolution proposes to form an Equity Task Force to assist the District is addressing these issues. The Board will continue their discussion at future meetings or study sessions. I am a strong […]

Continue reading

A 3 percent raise every 8 years

Would you stay in a job if the only raise you got was 3 percent every 7 years? That is what the real increase proposed for Measure V is providing – a $3 million increase to the $7 million 2010 Measure A parcel tax   (the other increases in the parcel tax have been to account […]

Continue reading

Budget cuts, shared commitment to our students

Budget cuts, shared commitment, shared suffering The San Mateo Foster City School Board is discussing budget cuts if Measure V fails. There are little program cuts here and there, but, basically, the way the district proposes balance the budget is with staff and teacher layoffs. What seems to be lost in this approach is our overall […]

Continue reading

Getting to A Plus

The first challenge our district faces today is how to get through passing Measure V. This is THE elephant in the room and cannot be ignored. Raising revenue is intimately tied to solving the immediate budget shortfall. Costs continue to rise no matter what else is going on. This is true for everyone including the […]

Continue reading

I want an A Plus school district

What kind of school district do we want? I want an A+ school district. I want a district where 95% of our kids are “at or above” grade level on standard tests. And where we are working our behinds off to help that remaining 5%. I want a district where we are proud of our […]

Continue reading
Skip to toolbar